Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Weekly Post: 7/24 - 7/30

Sunday, 7/24:
Kingsley sleeping under John's legs in the most adorable way while we watched one of the Bourne movies. We watched them all this week in preparation for the new one. 

Monday, 7/25:

Kenny is a freshman doing credit recovery for physics. He makes me laugh every day. Even seeing a shadow of his small stature makes me laugh. If you don't catch what he's doing in this video, here are the director's notes: He has the AC 'out' air going up his shirt. Then he accidentally drops the tube thing. When he notices Kathryn filming him, he quickly recovers, he pulls up his shirt to show us his 'abs'. 

This is what he was going for. So close. So close. 

Tuesday, 7/26:
First, Kathryn and I went on one of our regular dates to McDonalds to get free chicken mcnuggets. [We have an app that every time the Tigers score six runs, we get a free 6-piece]. We have done this so many times throughout the school year that we are regulars at the location near the school. It needed to be documented. 

I fear that if other people are like me, McDonalds is losing money on this promotion since I use it ~40% of the time it's available and never buy anything else. Hah!
Then I went to my last night of MTLT (model teacher lead teacher) training. We ate food and said goodbye. I joined the program very reluctantly in February and have enjoyed it immensely. Hands down, the most effective training I've received in teaching. It has involved meeting four times a month for several hours as well as submitting videos of my teaching and my lesson plans. Lots of time, but time well spent. (From left to right: Amiri*, Mersedes, Voletta*,  Kyra, LaToya, Julia*, Jess*, (me), Tina*, Jessica, Ashley*, Caitlin*, Daniel*, and Quincy)
Tina is a master teacher who has been very supportive of me this year. She has come to observe my class several times, and she consistently insists that she learns from me instead of the other way around. (Not true). One of the most enthusiastic, optimistic people I've ever met. EAA students are lucky to have her. 
Jess is the main reason I've loved the MTLT program so much. If she was a principal at one of our schools, I would have considered teaching next year 10x more. She is intelligent, thoughtful, and humble (a trio of traits I haven't found in every admin I've worked with). 


Wednesday, 7/27:
We watched Alex for Davy and Nena for a few days. Kingsley was obsessed and followed Alex everywhere. Their best friendship is very one-sided. It alternated between being adorable and being infuriatingly annoying (especially for Alex). I hope that Kingsley can be as patient and well-behaved as Alex someday. [These pictures are from all different days Wednesday - Monday]
To give Alex some space, we put Kingsley on the bed and Alex on the ground for an hour or so. They were mostly good, but for a few minutes they both whined. Alex wanted to get on the bed, and Kingsley wanted Alex.
We took them both to the park and John and Ben ran them around the park. Kingsley has rarely been so motivated. Alex chased squirrels. Kingsley chased Alex.

Thursday, 7/28:

We went to a hipster ice cream shop in Ann Arbor. We sampled flavors like fresh basil, vietnamese cinnamon, blueberry pancake, and balsamic strawberry...and then we ordered stuff like cookies and cream and chocolate peanut butter. Our taste buds are conservative apparently. But it was fun! 

Friday, 7/29:

Embarrassing pictures from my optometry appointment. I've decided it's worth it to have glasses for law school so I can see the board. I sent 18 pictures to people I felt very comfortable annoying.

Saturday, 7/30:
This picture is not from this Saturday...I didn't take a picture of this Saturday. But this is a really old picture that I've never saved anywhere. This is Sarah, Harry, me, and Ben on our hike down to Havasupai 3 years ago. It was our first extended time with them, and it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

On Saturday, John, Ben and I went to a matinee for the fifth Bourne movie (enjoyable). Then we drove up to Harry and Sarah's for a night of games with lots of potential new friends (they invited people who were newish to Ford and Michigan). Very fun!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you didn't feel comfortable annoying me (I didn't get any glasses pix!)??!! I am excited that you will get to see the board again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two questions:
    1. Why didn't you text me glasses pics? I know you called me but I wish I could have weighed in. Or at least I want to know what you picked. You need to post a picture with your final decision. I need glasses too.
    2. What do the asterisks by fellow MTLT participants mean? I am dying to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I will post the final picture! These pictures were so embarrassing, I only sent them to people who I knew were looking at them right then...somehow that made sense to me hahah.
      2. Those are my friends in the program. The people I sat with and hung out with sometimes afterwards. I was very mysterious about that.

      Delete